by Guilherme, James K, James S, Sullivan and Theo (Grade 8)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind,
flight to the imagination and life to everything.
I decided that I would start each class by sharing the video of the best shots from our previous challenge. Last week's challenge was "I've Got a Feeling". The students love to see each other's productions and I find it important to talk to them about photography techniques demonstrated in their peers' work.
Once we finish celebrating each other's work, it is time for this week's challenge: Battle of the Bands
I begin by asking students to respond to the following questions on a backchannel. (I personally like using TodaysMeet.)
Think About It:
- Explain one way music affects you.
- Select one style of music and describe how you would express it in a photo (props, hairstyle, make-up, clothes, etc...)
Creating your Band
- Create a band with a minimum of three (3) members and a maximum of five (5)
- Select a song that will be the inspiration for the creation of your band name, album cover and digital booklet
Challenge with a Twist: Battle of the Bands
Subject: Musical genre- expressing musical taste through digital photography
- With your group, you must create a(n)
a. iTunes album cover
- You must include the name of your band
- Twist #1: Your images must express the musical genre of your band
b. Digital Booklet must include:
- Minimum of three images of your band to go into your digital booklet (it can be individual or group shots)
- Lyrics to the song used as your band's inspiration
- All images must be landscape!
- Place images in a PPT and Save As... PDF
- Using Google Docs collaboratively with your group...
a. Write a reflection explaining the process and choices made in the "Battle of the Band" images you developed. (Title: Your Names + iPhoto Battle of the Bands; example "Joyce and Bertille iPhoto Battle of the Bands")
Be sure to include...
- Why you took the picture? Your choices and decisions.
- What you would do to make it better/improve?
Techniques (Process and Effects):
- How you took the picture? (Step-by-step)
Apps: list of apps you used
- b. Include the link to your song of inspiration
Tips, Tricks and Inspiration
The students had a lot of fun creating their bands and depicting their musical genre.
This video was created using Animoto.
Song: "United State of Pop 2012- Shine Brigher" by DJ Earworm